The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists

I Want to Move Into Ontario/I Want to Move Out of Ontario

Moving with your Designation

To facilitate labour mobility across Canada, OACETT recognizes and accepts the transfer of certified members between our organization and other similar organizations across the country. OACETT and these organizations have mutual recognition agreements in place, meaning you can transfer in or out of OACETT with ease. OACETT is the certifying body for engineering technology and applied science professionals within Ontario only. In the same way, other provincial associations can only certify you within their province. Therefore, if you want to be recognized as a certified professional in a new province and avoid a misuse of title dispute, you must transfer your certification.

I am a Certified OACETT Member and I'm Leaving Ontario

When you are a certified member of OACETT and you leave the province, you have two options to maintain your certification. Firstly, you can do a direct transfer of your membership from OACETT to another provincial association. At the end of the process, you will no longer be a member of OACETT and will be a member of the new provincial association. A popular alternative option is to ‘Transfer out and Maintain’. With this method, you transfer your certification from Ontario to a new association, but you maintain your membership with OACETT with reduced dues. This way you are a member of both Associations, allowing you to use your designation in both regions. Note that members paying retired dues cannot Transfer Out and Maintain.

When transferring between provinces you must speak to the certification body of your intended province. To apply to transfer your certification to your new jurisdiction, complete this form and send it to the association to which you are transferring. Remember that you may retain an out-of-province membership with OACETT at a reduced membership fee if you are also a certified member in another province. Click here for the current out-of-province membership rate.

For more information about provincial transfers, please contact: Michelle Billing at 416-621-9621, ext. 246 or

I am a Certified Engineering Technology or Applied Science Professional in Canada and want to Move to Ontario

In order to hold certified status in Ontario, you must transfer to OACETT. So long as you are a certified member of one of our sister-associations across Canada you can transfer your membership into OACETT easily. To apply to transfer, complete this form and send it to Michelle Billing at

If you are a certified member from another jurisdiction in Canada transferring to Ontario, you will be awarded the title used here. If you did not complete a Professional Practice Exam (PPE) as part of the certification process in the jurisdiction in which you were certified, you will be assigned the PPE to complete within six months upon transferring to Ontario.

If you are working in Ontario but have no plans to move to the province, OACETT can still certify you within Ontario. The transfer in process is the same for you as someone who is moving. Complete this form and send it to Michelle Billing at

For more information about provincial transfers, please contact: Michelle Billing at 416-621-9621, ext. 246 or

Working Internationally

OACETT members may retain their membership while outside the province/country, by continuing to pay their annual membership dues. Annual membership dues invoices are routinely sent abroad each year.

When planning to work in another country, investigate the requirements to work as an engineering technology or applied science professional in that country. You must research and contact the suitable regulatory or certification body in your destination country and apply for recognition with them. If requested, OACETT can provide you with a letter of standing and a description of our certification standards to assist in your application abroad.

OACETT’s protected titles are only protected within Ontario, make sure you are not committing a misuse of title if using your designation internationally.
For questions about working internationally, please contact OACETT at (416) 621-9621 or at

Copyright © 2023 OACETT. / 10 Four Seasons Place, Suite 700, Toronto Ontario, Canada M9B 6H7
t: (416) 621-9621 / f: (416) 621-8694 /
Website Development Inorbital